Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Random Politics

Post by A_B »

Was it prometheus that keeps getting his liver eaten every day? That sounds ok instead of a train.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

duff wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:15 am
Giff wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:28 am
Johnnie wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:25 pm
Giff wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:52 pm Fuck Greg Abbott. I want him to die in a way that causes the most suffering.
I really want someone to simply knock over his wheelchair.

Then he gets hit by a train.
Train is too quick.
A slow moving one. Where it drags him for 100s of miles into west Texas. And he dies from bleeding out and dehydration.
You're on the right track.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

duff wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:15 am
Giff wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:28 am
Johnnie wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:25 pm
Giff wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:52 pm Fuck Greg Abbott. I want him to die in a way that causes the most suffering.
I really want someone to simply knock over his wheelchair.

Then he gets hit by a train.
Train is too quick.
A slow moving one. Where it drags him for 100s of miles into west Texas. And he dies from bleeding out and dehydration.
While a bunch of migrants stand around and laugh at him.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

While he's covered in razor wire.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Still, anything that gave us "bleach blonde bad built butch body" can't be all bad.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

This one too:

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Never mind, insensitive.

Fuck Fetterman, tho.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Taunting the AZ AG was stupid enough. But doing it while in Arizona?

(Edit - apparently he was in Florida.)

I guess he’s the mayor America deserves.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Does Matthew Miller remind anybody else of a character from a popular HBO show that ended last year?

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

He kind of reminds me of a mix between Buster Bluth and Kendall Roy.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Johnnie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:08 pm He kind of reminds me of a mix between Buster Bluth and Kendall Roy.
Watch it one more time and think of Succession but not a Roy.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jerloma wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:30 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:08 pm He kind of reminds me of a mix between Buster Bluth and Kendall Roy.
LOL. Greg. Now I see it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:11 pm
Jerloma wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 5:30 pm
LOL. Greg. Now I see it.
I thought Tom at first, but see Greg in that performance, too.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It's Greg to a fucking tee.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jerloma wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:50 am It's Greg to a fucking tee.
If it is to be said, so it is.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Wait, is "spox" a thing now?

Ick.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Algorithm spit this one at me today.

Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pretty great. I am surprised the fact that the US is not on the right side of the map would trip some people up. You can't find fucking Europe?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:11 pm Pretty great. I am surprised the fact that the US is not on the right side of the map would trip some people up. You can't find fucking Europe?
Yeah, I'm guessing that contributed a bit, but come on. They can't recognize Australia? Or the US?
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ha ha yeah some of these idiots really don't know geography ha ha.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's astounding.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Think about how many things you learned in school to repeat on a test. Think about how many of those you gave forgotten. Think about how many more of them you would have forgotten if you had no interest in that topic, even if that interest was for something as inconsequential as "playing along with Jeopardy" at home.

Now, think about all the people in your classes who did worse than you in whatever subject for whatever reason (general acumen, disinterest, whatever). Think about what they have forgotten, even if they knew it at one time, because they never were compelled to hold onto that information for any reason.

People being dumb should not be surprising, especially when editing decisions are made explicitly for maximum comedy.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:49 am ...i ...hat...e...p...u...p.....p...i...es
Yeah. Editorial decisions matter.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think my issue is that I'm a geography person so I have a really difficult time with people that just have no interest in understanding, like... where the fuck they are at any given moment.

Not being able to identify the country you are in is just incredible to me.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Dumb isn't the problem. It's dumb + 'I have a strong opinion regardless'.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:15 am I think my issue is that I'm a geography person so I have a really difficult time with people that just have no interest in understanding, like... where the fuck they are at any given moment.

Not being able to identify the country you are in is just incredible to me.
I've always loved geography and studying maps, so I have a really hard time understanding this level if ignorance in anyone over 5 years old. Maybe a better way of thinking about it would be showing me a variety of paintings and asking me to identify the artist or style. That said, I'd still know the most famous, and they are giving a map of the entire world and saying identify one country. So no, my analogy doesn't work at all. And maybe the people who identified Africa and Texas as countries know they aren't, but were nervous with a television camera on them, but the guy who said Africa seemed like he genuinely can't name one country in Africa.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:28 am Dumb isn't the problem. It's dumb + 'I have a strong opinion regardless'.
This. The same people that bitch and moan about immigration at the southern border and have, literally, no idea where the border is... Say nothing of the "why" of the people struggling/dying during the migration. They have ZERO awareness, but Fuck Joe Biden, right?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My first day of American History class, when I was a junior in high school, the teacher handed out unlabeled maps of the United States to each of us and told us to identify as many of the 50 states as we could. Not for a grade, but just so he “could see what he was working with”. I got almost all of them and assumed everyone else would, too. But the girl who sat next to me - a friend whose mother taught at my elementary school - saw my paper and expressed shock. I looked at hers - I think she got two states, iirc.

Nobody would go wrong underestimating the education of the average American.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Alright, lets see if I can name all 50 in 5 minutes ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:33 pm My first day of American History class, when I was a junior in high school, the teacher handed out unlabeled maps of the United States to each of us and told us to identify as many of the 50 states as we could. Not for a grade, but just so he “could see what he was working with”. I got almost all of them and assumed everyone else would, too. But the girl who sat next to me - a friend whose mother taught at my elementary school - saw my paper and expressed shock. I looked at hers - I think she got two states, iirc.

Nobody would go wrong underestimating the education of the average American.
I think we did this too. And eventually throughout the following years we did it for Canada, Central America, South America, Australia, and Europe. And I think we even learned state/country/province capitals along the way.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:45 pm Alright, lets see if I can name all 50 in 5 minutes ...
There's a song for that, actually. If you speed run it, you get easily do it in under a minute.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I missed one and not because of time.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My junior year of HS I had the best teacher I've ever had for World Studies. He would make us pull out a blank piece of paper and you had to draw the continent we were focused on at the time. Just an incredible way to learn and remember regions and their borders.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:49 am Think about how many things you learned in school to repeat on a test. Think about how many of those you gave forgotten. Think about how many more of them you would have forgotten if you had no interest in that topic, even if that interest was for something as inconsequential as "playing along with Jeopardy" at home.

Now, think about all the people in your classes who did worse than you in whatever subject for whatever reason (general acumen, disinterest, whatever). Think about what they have forgotten, even if they knew it at one time, because they never were compelled to hold onto that information for any reason.

People being dumb should not be surprising, especially when editing decisions are made explicitly for maximum comedy.
If you base a big part of your identity on "America, fuck yeah!' and fly flags and shit ... you should be able to recognize the shape of the USA on a map. I mean, that's the lowest fucking bar. I'm amazed these people can dress themselves.

And yes, I'm assuming that attitude for these people based on the faces they made when asked if they were Democrats or Republicans.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:23 pmIf you base a big part of your identity on "America, fuck yeah!' and fly flags and shit ... you should be able to recognize the shape of the USA on a map. I mean, that's the lowest fucking bar. I'm amazed these people can dress themselves.
They wrap themselves in the flag and Jesus and haven't read the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, or Bible. So I agree with your sentiment, but that's 'MURICA for you.

I'm amazed these people don't drown swallowing their spit.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:27 pm
Shirley wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:23 pmIf you base a big part of your identity on "America, fuck yeah!' and fly flags and shit ... you should be able to recognize the shape of the USA on a map. I mean, that's the lowest fucking bar. I'm amazed these people can dress themselves.
They wrap themselves in the flag and Jesus and haven't read the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, or Bible. So I agree with your sentiment, but that's 'MURICA for you.

I'm amazed these people don't drown swallowing their spit.
Reading those documents isn't really that easy. I mean, it's not hard, but they aren't easy prose. But the shape of the United States? I mean, how many times have you seen that by the time you're ~40 years old? And that's only slightly easier than knowing the shape of Africa or that it's a continent and not a country.

Again, it's just AMAZING to me how so many people can function in life with so little brain function.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Wow...does Justice Alito's wife LOVES her some flags...

Another Provocative Flag Was Flown at Another Alito Home
Last summer, two years after an upside-down American flag was flown outside the Virginia home of Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., another provocative symbol was displayed at his vacation house in New Jersey, according to interviews and photographs.

This time, it was the “Appeal to Heaven” flag, which, like the inverted U.S. flag, was carried by rioters at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Also known as the Pine Tree flag, it dates back to the Revolutionary War, but largely fell into obscurity until recent years and is now a symbol of support for former President Donald J. Trump, for a religious strand of the “Stop the Steal” campaign and for a push to remake American government in Christian terms.

Three photographs obtained by The New York Times, along with accounts from a half-dozen neighbors and passers-by, show that the Appeal to Heaven flag was aloft at the Alito home on Long Beach Island in July and September of 2023. A Google street view image from late August also shows the flag.