The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:12 pm Headed to DFW Saturday with one of my oldest friends to catch Vandoliers and Sam Morrow at some free concert series they put on in Arlington during the summer. Bringing home my wife’s favorite meal ever (fried chicken from Babe’s Chicken Dinner) for a Mother’s Day dinner. It was her idea for me to go since I had passed on going to a different show last month, and it was my idea for the dinner, so basically I won points while getting to take a road trip to see a concert during this weekend of all weekends. I’m better than OK!
Sounds like a blast!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:31 pm
Giff wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:12 pm Headed to DFW Saturday with one of my oldest friends to catch Vandoliers and Sam Morrow at some free concert series they put on in Arlington during the summer. Bringing home my wife’s favorite meal ever (fried chicken from Babe’s Chicken Dinner) for a Mother’s Day dinner. It was her idea for me to go since I had passed on going to a different show last month, and it was my idea for the dinner, so basically I won points while getting to take a road trip to see a concert during this weekend of all weekends. I’m better than OK!
Sounds like a blast!
With this friend 10 years ago it would sound like trouble. He’s sober-ish now so I guess we will see!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Have to sell Echo & the Bunnymen next Friday because the 8U all-star game got moved which means we'll never know "would Mister D have gone to the venue where he thought it was (Flatbush) or would he have checked tickets and gone to the right one (Williamsburg)".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Has anyone seen LCD Soundsystem?

They are doing 4 nights here, starting tomorrow, and I missed out on the regular tickets. But I just checked on Stubhub and I can get tickets for a semi-reasonable price, and I'm wondering if its worth it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Never seen them except the "final concert" doc which seemed pretty great. If they can get 75% of the way there on a normal night it seems worth it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Tickets to see the remnants of the Grateful Dead in The Sphere acquired. Beyond pumped.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:10 pm Tickets to see the remnants of the Grateful Dead in The Sphere acquired. Beyond pumped.
Very jealous.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:06 am Has anyone seen LCD Soundsystem?

They are doing 4 nights here, starting tomorrow, and I missed out on the regular tickets. But I just checked on Stubhub and I can get tickets for a semi-reasonable price, and I'm wondering if its worth it.
Saw them many moons ago and they’re pretty amazing live. Or were back when they were regularly touring at least.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

the fam and i went to some shed about 40 minutes south of Cleveland last night to see Noah Kahan. I think there were 20,000 people there - and pretty much everyone sang every freaking line. Stunned at how big this guy has gotten. He and the band were quite good live.

((also major points to the most positive and easygoing large crowd i've ever been in which came in handy seeing as it took *2 hours* to get out of the parking lots. Absolutely nobody was freaking out or causing a scene. can't un-recommend their parking system enough - Blossom Music Center))
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Blossom's parking was always not great. I assume having two-lane roads as the point of entry/departure still sucks.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Headed there in September for The National and the War on Drugs. Good to know about the egress. Sounds like COTA in Austin.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:05 pm Headed there in September for The National and the War on Drugs. Good to know about the egress. Sounds like COTA in Austin.
As always, park to leave, if possible.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

yeah that's pretty bad but the worst (and now that i'm typing it i'm sure it's directly-related) is that there seemed to be just 1 exit out of the sea of parking lots to said road. We were relatively late to arrive and so parked in a distant lot (we're all good with the super long walk) which was painfully close to the road and yet we ended up one of the last cars allowed out. Literally 30 feet from the road so if there was an exit right there we could have been out 90 minutes earlier ... but then of course that would have flooded that small road.

I guess I'm saying pack some post-gig food and entertainment and fill your tank!
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:57 pm Blossom's parking was always not great. I assume having two-lane roads as the point of entry/departure still sucks.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Taking the oldest and a friend to his first show in September - QOTSA at the Fenway Hall thing.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ryan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:28 am Taking the oldest and a friend to his first show in September - QOTSA at the Fenway Hall thing.
That sounds like so much fun for a first show.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Drive-By Truckers said they’re using a set list for the first time ever for their Southern Rock Opera Revisited tour. Makes sense I guess. SRO is like 80+ minutes on its own so there’s gonna have to be hard decisions made about what else gets played in each set on either side of that.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:28 pm Drive-By Truckers said they’re using a set list for the first time ever for their Southern Rock Opera Revisited tour. Makes sense I guess. SRO is like 80+ minutes on its own so there’s gonna have to be hard decisions made about what else gets played in each set on either side of that.
You going to be in San Francisco by chance when they do two nights here near the end of the month? Nobody here wants to go with me.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Irony thread?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:03 pm
brian wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:28 pm Drive-By Truckers said they’re using a set list for the first time ever for their Southern Rock Opera Revisited tour. Makes sense I guess. SRO is like 80+ minutes on its own so there’s gonna have to be hard decisions made about what else gets played in each set on either side of that.
You going to be in San Francisco by chance when they do two nights here near the end of the month? Nobody here wants to go with me.
I wish! But we don’t have any freight close to the Bay Area. Or at least us OTR drivers don’t. Sacto is as close as I’ve gotten and I’m OK with that.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Currently waiting for the start of set 2 for Goose at Fiddler's Green in Denver...great show so far. Perfect weather...one of the only concerts I've been to where I don't know most of the songs.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Quick little roadie over to Austin later to see Murder By Death. Definitely worth a two-hour drive.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Regretting giving up my ticket for last night's IDLES show at HoB Orlando. Photos giving me FOMO.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DBT playing SRO in NO is Sunday. Cannot wait. Haven’t been to a show in a long time period and this might be a once in a lifetime deal to see it played in entirety
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This is a pretty regional/local thing, but they are bringing back the HFStival, which local legendary radio station WHFS used to put on in the 90s.

I don't know if it came before Lollapalooza and all that, but it was definitely on the front edge of putting together full day concerts with Alt Rock with really good bands.

Well, my wife and I were geeked up to get tickets and... $250 a pop. And, like, I would still consider it but it's really tough on principle. One of the nice things about the old concert was that it was very affordable. As a college kid or as a young professional, I don't ever remember even sweating the ticket price.

Bummer.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:13 pm This is a pretty regional/local thing, but they are bringing back the HFStival, which local legendary radio station WHFS used to put on in the 90s.

I don't know if it came before Lollapalooza and all that, but it was definitely on the front edge of putting together full day concerts with Alt Rock with really good bands.

Well, my wife and I were geeked up to get tickets and... $250 a pop. And, like, I would still consider it but it's really tough on principle. One of the nice things about the old concert was that it was very affordable. As a college kid or as a young professional, I don't ever remember even sweating the ticket price.

Bummer.
That lineup is amazing. I'll already be at the National and War on Drugs show that weekend though.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I know I’m probably alone with my love of Phish, but I’m seeing Trey with the National Symphony in VA in 2 weeks and I just scored tickets to 2 of the 4 nights of the Phish festival in DE this summer.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:13 pm This is a pretty regional/local thing, but they are bringing back the HFStival, which local legendary radio station WHFS used to put on in the 90s.

Bummer.
Wait to purchase tickets. Yesterday, I read "The Curious Case Of The Underselling Arena Tours" at Stereogum, a piece about how a couple big acts (Black Keys, Jennifer Lopez) pulled the plug and canceled their entire tours.

One of the points made in the column by a guy named Tony is that a lot of ticket pricing is creating the hype around the event, driving people to buy early. Tony runs the Twitter account @UnderFaceValue, which is an account that follows the event ticketing industry and his takeaway is to wait. His account points out that the following tickets have been on sale recently:

Jason Isbell in Evans, Georgia for $4 to get in the door (concert last Friday, price quoted the Monday before)
Vampire Weekend for $6 (fees included) in Phoenix last Sunday
Rolling Stones for $29 (fees included) in Seattle
Springsteen for $68 in Columbus (obstructed view for $24)
Caitlin Clark's first WNBA game for $3
Cavs-Celtics playoff game for $22
Red Hot Chili Peppers tickets dropping over 25% from April to May for a concert in July
George Strait and Chris Stapleton for $31 in the door
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thanks, Drugs... very interesting.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:02 am Thanks, Drugs... very interesting.
Me after watching "2001" for the first time...