Roger Godell's Terrible No Good Bad (Infinity) - the whoopin

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: Roger Godell's Terrible No Good Bad (Infinity) - the who

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote:NFL is being thrust into the deep end of social ills beyond what government has been willing to address.
As Bengal pointed out, Goodell brought this on himself by making his personal conduct suspensions a centerpiece of his public image. How many nauseating articles were written about "Sheriff" Goodell and all the great work he was doing keeping players under control? But as it turned out, his suspensions did nothing to actually reduce the rate of off-field incidents (real shocker that guys committing violent crimes don't think rationally about the potential consequences), and Goodell is simply not capable of administering discipline in a fair and consistent manner. I don't know if the owners will fire him, but I think they have to completely revamp how personal conduct discipline is handled.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Weatherfrog wrote:Something I find interesting when scandals of this nature are revealed is how many people become moral absolutists. I regularly get in arguments with people who claim that moral relativism has won the day and that there are no moral absolutes. Then some big scandal happens and I am bombarded by people who are completely certain that the actor in the scandal is a terrible person and how can anyone see it any other way without also being a terrible person.
You can have moral absolutes in a vacuum. A good starting point is "causing the least amount of suffering for the least amount of people" or "acts that infringe upon other people's autonomy are immoral." From there you still have to look at the scenario though. Me shooting AP in the kneecap would be immoral. Me shooting AP in the kneecap because he's beating the shit out of his 4 year old is another story.

I can't really think of a scenario where AP abusing his kid wouldn't be immoral unless it's something like someone having a gun to another kid's head and they are gonna shoot that kid in the head if AP doesn't whip his kid with a branch. I don't think that was the case though.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Joe K wrote:
HaulCitgo wrote:NFL is being thrust into the deep end of social ills beyond what government has been willing to address.
As Bengal pointed out, Goodell brought this on himself by making his personal conduct suspensions a centerpiece of his public image. How many nauseating articles were written about "Sheriff" Goodell and all the great work he was doing keeping players under control? But as it turned out, his suspensions did nothing to actually reduce the rate of off-field incidents (real shocker that guys committing violent crimes don't think rationally about the potential consequences), and Goodell is simply not capable of administering discipline in a fair and consistent manner. I don't know if the owners will fire him, but I think they have to completely revamp how personal conduct discipline is handled.
a fuckton!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Where the fuck is Goodell anyway? Haven't heard a peep in over a week. Is he just hiding under his desk with a bottle of scotch at this point?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jerloma wrote:I can't really think of a scenario where AP abusing his kid wouldn't be immoral unless it's something like someone having a gun to another kid's head and they are gonna shoot that kid in the head if AP doesn't whip his kid with a branch. I don't think that was the case though.
I got into a very similar argument over "who is worse, Peterson or Rice".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Guy is very much in hiding. Maybe he fled in a plane to Nebraska like W.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote:
Jerloma wrote:I can't really think of a scenario where AP abusing his kid wouldn't be immoral unless it's something like someone having a gun to another kid's head and they are gonna shoot that kid in the head if AP doesn't whip his kid with a branch. I don't think that was the case though.
I got into a very similar argument over "who is worse, Peterson or Rice".
If you make it apples to apples and presume that there is a video of the AP thing, it would probably be even more disturbing.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Id say its not immoral to the extent the severity of the injuries were not intentional and the choice of weapon was intended to limit the severity. Sometimes you hit kids too hard without realizing it. The kid and I were play fighting and I knocked the wind out of him a couple weeks ago. It happens. Also, I give some credit to the idea that a switch is intended to walk the line of physical pain to make a child remember and insufficient power to cause injury.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote:Where the fuck is Goodell anyway? Haven't heard a peep in over a week. Is he just hiding under his desk with a bottle of scotch at this point?
Leadership!

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

HaulCitgo wrote:Id say its not immoral to the extent the severity of the injuries were not intentional and the choice of weapon was intended to limit the severity. Sometimes you hit kids too hard without realizing it. The kid and I were play fighting and I knocked the wind out of him a couple weeks ago. It happens. Also, I give some credit to the idea that a switch is intended to walk the line of physical pain to make a child remember and insufficient power to cause injury.
Look at the pictures.

Play fighting is different than whipping with a weapon.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Holy shit. A switch isn't a weapon.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

AB_skin_test wrote:Holy shit. A switch isn't a weapon.
Well, I define "weapon" as something other than the human body that is intended to cause injury.
boxcar
Jackie Treehorn

Post by boxcar »

anything can be a weapon.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well, if you're arguing intent, I doubt many switch users intend to cause injury.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

An icepick isn't either, until you're stabbed through your scrotum with it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote:
An icepick isn't either, until you're stabbed through your scrotum with it.
I told you never to speak of that night.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Whatever the intent, it sure looks a lot like ritualistic whipping.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

boxcar wrote:anything can be a weapon.
Fucking Marines.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe this should be a poll: Knowing both would be brutally murdered by Aaron Hernandez if you refused to choose, would you punch your wife in the face or stuff leaves in your kid's mouth and whip him/her bloody?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote:re: Bengal paranoia...you weren't there! you can't know!
Ha! Those were good times. I miss my old avatar SL made me, with OchoCinco holding a sign saying X days without an arrest. BTW, did the league suspend Chris Henry for his domestic violence incident?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:Maybe this should be a poll: Knowing both would be brutally murdered by Aaron Hernandez if you refused to choose, would you punch your wife in the face or stuff leaves in your kid's mouth and whip him/her bloody?
Do I at some point get to explain to my wife that I chose punching her over beating our kid?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Just as a quick aside, anyone saying that a company that makes beer does not have the moral standing to condemn child abuse is ten times as dumb as shit.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote:
mister d wrote:Maybe this should be a poll: Knowing both would be brutally murdered by Aaron Hernandez if you refused to choose, would you punch your wife in the face or stuff leaves in your kid's mouth and whip him/her bloody?
Do I at some point get to explain to my wife that I chose punching her over beating our kid?
My wife doesn't know who Aaron Hernandez is anyway.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Just as a quick aside, anyone saying that a company that makes beer does not have the moral standing to condemn child abuse is ten times as dumb as shit.

Abuse Responsibly.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

boxcar wrote:anything can be a weapon.
Last edited by Rex on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote:
tennbengal wrote:re: Bengal paranoia...you weren't there! you can't know!
Ha! Those were good times. I miss my old avatar SL made me, with OchoCinco holding a sign saying X days without an arrest. BTW, did the league suspend Chris Henry for his domestic violence incident?
Shit, I don't even remember at this point. I don't think so. Odell Thurman, oddly enough, was the one that the league landed on the hardest.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Depends who deserves it more that day.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote:
May want to do that over a nice dinner.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Just as a quick aside, anyone saying that a company that makes beer does not have the moral standing to condemn child abuse is ten times as dumb as shit.
Yeah, Arian Foster is very annoying.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Wow. I had to look this up. Arian Foster actually said that alcohol and DV are practically synonymous! Wow! Fucking wow! Everyone has lost their fucking minds.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Short of beating his daughter bloody with a non-weapon, I'm probably always going to like him for this: 6 Things I'll Try to Teach My Daughter

(I mean, that's a really great coat, isn't it?)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Nah. I don't care. They sell it in my state now and it isn't going anywhere. The haters can suck it. Know what I have noticed though...it tastes so much better out of a can than it does out of a bottle. It's the only beer I can say that for.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Probably because metal has a bit more of a smell than glass?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:
Nah. I don't care. They sell it in my state now and it isn't going anywhere. The haters can suck it. Know what I have noticed though...it tastes so much better out of a can than it does out of a bottle. It's the only beer I can say that for.
It's the lead cans. Lead tastes sweet.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote:Probably because metal has a bit more of a smell than glass?
Are you being facetious? I don't know how that's applicable.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

HaulCitgo wrote:But it is apparent that these guys aren't equipped for this.
These guys are not that smart. I include the owners by and large in this assessment. What is obvious from their conduct is clouded by the massive, overwhelming delusion that wealth = intelligence. This popular delusion has worsened tremendously over the past couple of decades (along with the worsening worship of money and the financialization of everything in our society.)

Leaving aside the owners for a moment, just looking at league and team officials. The more they are paid, the more intelligent they are assumed to be. In spite of the copious evidence to the contrary. From Goodell on down. These people are mediocrities, as their behavior clearly demonstrates.

Decades ago, I saw this up close, when I worked for The League as a lowly security guard. The men surrounding Rozelle were not too smart. The next level down tended to be the bright ones; somehow they didn't migrate to the top nearly as often as merit would predict. I've come to see this as typical for large organizations, private and public. A combination of the conceits and corruptions of wealth, and the failure of most organizational structures, I suppose.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

howard wrote:A combination of the conceits and corruptions of wealth, and the failure of most organizational structures, I suppose.
Apparently, those are called "silos". Who knew?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I have an irrational personal attachment to Yuengling. I've had it twice, both times in airport bars, not long after I broke a longstanding stretch of teetotaling (long story) and when I was still on the fence over whether I would like this whole beer thing at all. Yuengling single-handedly restored my confidence in beer, and remains the best mass-produced American lager I've had (know that's not a tall order, but still). I'd probably pay two or three times what it's worth to get it where I live.

From what I've seen of Deadspin's beer rankings, apparently the way to make a beer they actually like is to fill a jar two-thirds of the way with hops and the rest with vinegar at let it stew for three years.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Dude, can't you like spit and hit Massachusetts from Portsmouth?