Bob Dole

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Bob Dole

Post by brian »

Age 98.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: Bob Dole

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nice run
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Met him once at the naming ceremony for the federal building in Battle Creek. (It’s the Hart-Dole-Inuoye Federal Center, named for three Senators all wounded in WWII who recovered there.)

Quite a gentleman and seemed like a nice guy.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Seemed like a good guy with a good sense of humor. Wasn’t above laughing at himself. I remember him being a pretty good late night talk show guest.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

bfj wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:40 pm Seemed like a good guy with a good sense of humor. Wasn’t above laughing at himself. I remember him being a pretty good late night talk show guest.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Say what you will about his politics, but he led a masterclass in outliving people who made fun of you for being old.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Punch line to my favorite “In the Year 2000” joke on Conan.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:52 pm Say what you will about his politics, but he led a masterclass in outliving people who made fun of you for being old.
Yeah, can't believe Norm went first.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Sad to hear this.

Anybody else here read 'What It Takes,' Richard Ben Cramer's book about the 1988 Presidential election? (Sorry if I've talked about this book here before.) Great looks at Dole, Bush the First, Biden, Dukakis, Gary Hart, and Gephardt. Yes, it's a thousand-page book about a not-very-interesting election, but it's one of my favorite political books. Worth your time.

The Dole chapters are amazing. I've read about the Dust Bowl/Depression before, but I never really saw it. Reading about a basketball game that had to be canceled when too much dust seeped into the gym and covered the floor, then all of the spectators had to stay inside and wait it out -- okay, that's an image. And the stories about Dole's war injuries and recovery are excruciating. Whatever your political affiliations, it's hard to hate anybody in this book. (Well, pre-Presidential W makes a brief cameo and comes across as an asshole, so there's that.)