2017 NBA Playoffs Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

2017 NBA Playoffs Thread

Post by Joe K »

I'll start this off with my picks for the regular season awards and postseason prediction:

Rookie of the Year: Malcolm Brogdon

Embiid needed to play about 15 more games to get my pick. Dario Saric will probably win this, but I'd give it to Brogdon because he was a solid contributor to a playoff team.

Coach of the Year: Mike D'Antoni

No team exceeded its preseason win total over/under more than the Rockets. They finished second in the NBA in offensive efficiency, so it was another offensive masterpiece from D'Antoni.

Sixth Man of the Year: Andre Iguodala

Eric Gordon probably win this but I'll take Iguodala because he's the second best defender on the league's #2 ranked defense. He's also efficient on offense, which helps keep their offensive machine humming.

Most Improved Player: Giannis Antetokounpo

I'll go with the Greek Freak over Nikola Jokic on the theory that improving from a really good player to a superstar is especially impressive.

Defensive Player of the Year: Rudy Gobert
Draymond Green will probably win this, and is a deserving choice. But I'll take Gobert because he's clearly the league's best rim protector and isn't a cheap shot artist.

MVP: James Harden

Two months ago I would've picked LeBron, but after the Cavs mailed in the second half, I can't do that. Kawhi is also a strong candidate, but I think it comes down to Harden and Westbrook. Despite their defensive deficiencies, they generated so many points through scoring or assists that I think they should finish 1-2. Harden is actually an easy choice for me over Westbrook. The factor that I can't get past in comparing the two is offensive efficiency. Harden is a substantially more efficient scorer than Westbrook, his passes have lead to higher value shots by his teammates (the NBA keeps a stat called "points per potential assist" that measures this), and the Rockets have been miles better than the Thunder -- both overall and especially on the offensive end.

As for my postseason picks, I'll take:

Celtics over Bulls in 5
Cavs over Pacers in 5
Raptors over Bucks in 7
Wizards over Hawks in 7
Warriors over Blazers in 5
Spurs over Grizzlies in 4
Rockets over Thunder in 5
Clippers over Jazz in 7

Celtics over Wizards in 7
Cavs over Raptors in 7
Warriors over Clippers in 6
Spurs over Rockets in 5

Cavs over Celtics in 6
Warriors over Spurs in 5

Warriors over Cavs in 5
Finals MVP: Draymond Green
Giff
The Dude

Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs Thread

Post by Giff »

Celtics over Bulls in 6
Cavs over Pacers in 5
Raptors over Bucks in 6
Wizards over Hawks in 6

Wizards over Celtics in 7
Cavs over Raptors in 7

Cavs over Wizards in 5

Warriors over Blazers in 5
Spurs over Grizzlies in 7
Rockets over Thunder in 7
Jazz over Clippers in 6

Warriors over Jazz in 6
Spurs over Rockets in 6

Spurs over Warriors in 7

Spurs over Cavs in 6
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Ugly ugly ugly.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Sitting down for the latest spurs beatdown of the Grizzlies in the playoffs. At least I will always have 2011...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Grizzlies are starting Vince Carter and also Wayne Selden - they signed Selden a month ago to cover injuries.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

tennbengal wrote:Sitting down for the latest spurs beatdown of the Grizzlies in the playoffs. At least I will always have 2011...
Well I'm glad I didn't post anything encouraging during the first 10 minutes of this game!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Raptors are now 1-11 in Game Ones.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The Spurs are re-accommodating this poor team right now.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rex wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Sitting down for the latest spurs beatdown of the Grizzlies in the playoffs. At least I will always have 2011...
Well I'm glad I didn't post anything encouraging during the first 10 minutes of this game!
Word. Spurs v rockets in round 2 may be epic.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote:Raptors are now 1-11 in Game Ones.

I'd rather cavs play raptors on round two than bucks. The Greek freak is legit.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Also, I really dig Paul George. He's a player.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I been out. Who Pistons got first round?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DC47 wrote:I been out. Who Pistons got first round?
Adam Silver.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Impressive performance by the Jazz last right, winning on the road without Gobert. But that injury probably dooms them. Even though it sounds like he dodged a bullet and avoided significant ligament damage, they probably need him to win the series.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I bet the bulls wish they had the veteran presence of Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah right now!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That was a nice ass whuppin last night.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Looks like the Cavs timed that Kevin Love "injury" perfectly.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote:Looks like the Cavs timed that Kevin Love "injury" perfectly.

Not following.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Cavs are playing with fire by repeatedly giving up big 4th quarter runs to their opponents. I still think they'll get through the East, but that's a pretty dangerous habit to have.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

That game was peak Westbrook. 50 points, triple-double, but less than 40% from the field and not passing to anyone down the stretch.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Since 2008, 279 players have attempted between 1 and 42 shots in their playoff career.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Ryan wrote:Since 2008, 279 players have attempted between 1 and 42 shots in their playoff career.
I know the last player before Westbrook to attempt 43 shots in a playoff game was Michael Jordan in 1993 -- in a triple-overtime game in which he played 57 minutes. At least on NBA Twitter, some are still pointing to Westbrook's positive +/- last night as defense of how he played. But even though he had a positive on/off rating -- which is due at least in some part to their lack of a competent backup -- I thought how he played in the 4th quarter was indefensible. Guys like Roberson, McDermott and Grant were finishing plays early in the game, but Russ just made no effort to involve anyone else down the stretch. Even against a so-so defensive team like Houston, having one guy dominate the offense to such an extreme degree is just not a viable strategy.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I caught most of the 3rd and a big portion of the 4th. I went upstairs intending to turn it on to watch finish, but I didn't, even though I felt pretty confident Houston was going to win.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That was a nice win. Up 2-0 with Ryno 0-the series from 3. I'll take it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The cavs may win this game but you HAVE to put kyrie back in when it becomes a free throw contest.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Raptors came out tonight like they'd just arrived from happy hour. And it got worse. Convinced that Casey is not a top-shelf coach.

Brutal. And to make things worse, once the Bucks went up by 30, my wife put on some Lifetime movie.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Woo hoo, the Grizzlies won't get swept! Fun to see the Memphis crowd get one more night to be excited about that team - the window is almost closed, but that group has been a part of a lot of fun for the city.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote:Woo hoo, the Grizzlies won't get swept! Fun to see the Memphis crowd get one more night to be excited about that team - the window is almost closed, but that group has been a part of a lot of fun for the city.
Feel free to take that series to 7 games.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote:
tennbengal wrote:Woo hoo, the Grizzlies won't get swept! Fun to see the Memphis crowd get one more night to be excited about that team - the window is almost closed, but that group has been a part of a lot of fun for the city.
Feel free to take that series to 7 games.
Would be awesome to do that to them, yes.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rondo out indefinitely. He's been crucial in the series vs. Boston.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Playoff LeBron does astounding things so often that we almost take it for granted. I know the Pacers aren't that good, but putting up a 40+ point triple-double, while leading a comeback on the road from a 25 point halftime deficit is pretty incredible.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Joe K wrote:Playoff LeBron does astounding things so often that we almost take it for granted. I know the Pacers aren't that good, but putting up a 40+ point triple-double, while leading a comeback on the road from a 25 point halftime deficit is pretty incredible.
Not as incredible as a 50-pt one when you lead your team to a 4th quarter collapse!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Joe K wrote:Playoff LeBron does astounding things so often that we almost take it for granted. I know the Pacers aren't that good, but putting up a 40+ point triple-double, while leading a comeback on the road from a 25 point halftime deficit is pretty incredible.
The Cavs won that game? I saw the last few minutes of the first half and it appeared to be headed to a blowout.
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Shirley wrote:
The Cavs won that game? I saw the last few minutes of the first half and it appeared to be headed to a blowout.
LeBron went supernova in the second half and they started playing much better team defense. Remarkably, Irving and Love were on the bench for the entire fourth quarter. The lineup that sealed it was Deron Williams, Korver, Shump/JR, LeBron and Frye.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:
Guess we know who doesn't check out the scores on the front page.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

After two straight defeats in the Finals, I hope the Cavs go all the way this year.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

So Chris Paul is destined to go to down as the one of the most criminally underappreciated players of all-time due to bad postseason luck, right? The "ringzzz" crowd will have a field day with his career, even though I think he'll end up as a top-5 point guard of all-time.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Also, he's an asshole, so fuck him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Joe K wrote:So Chris Paul is destined to go to down as the one of the most criminally underappreciated players of all-time due to bad postseason luck, right? The "ringzzz" crowd will have a field day with his career, even though I think he'll end up as a top-5 point guard of all-time.
First I thought you were crazy but then I started counting and somehow the most important position in hoops has a really thin list of greats. Magic, presumably Oscar Robertson, though I never saw him play, and then Jason Kidd? Having trouble even completing this list.

Eta Stockton
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

HaulCitgo wrote:
Joe K wrote:So Chris Paul is destined to go to down as the one of the most criminally underappreciated players of all-time due to bad postseason luck, right? The "ringzzz" crowd will have a field day with his career, even though I think he'll end up as a top-5 point guard of all-time.
First I thought you were crazy but then I started counting and somehow the most important position in hoops has a really thin list of greats. Magic, presumably Oscar Robertson, though I never saw him play, and then Jason Kidd? Having trouble even completing this list.

Eta Stockton
I'm not much of a basketball history guy, but how about Magic, Robertson, Kidd, Stockton, Bob Cousy, Isaiah Thomas, Lenny Wilkins, Mo Cheeks, Tiny Archibald, Steve Nash, Gary Payton... I think they were all point guards.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian